The CSI is a year-long fellowship for high-performing graduate students to prepare them for creative scholarship in academia and impactful leadership in society. The program commences with a mandatory one-week immersive institute followed by regular workshops and a culminating full-day symposium.
Through a series of hands-on workshops and immersive experiences, the Creative Scholarship Institute equips graduate students with the skill sets and mindsets to succeed both at Lehigh University and in their chosen career paths. The program commences with a week-long immersion experience that covers a range of topics essential to their personal and professional development as productive scholars, pro-active innovators, and engaged citizens. Fellows will participate in a series of roundtables and workshops across the semester to share experiences and develop new skills and conclude with a day-long immersive symposium and celebratory dinner. The overarching goal of this cohort-based program is to help graduate students thrive at the happy intersection between their personal goals and professional aspirations in a complex and rapidly-changing world of work. Partnering and planning entities include the Office of Creative Inquiry, Office of Graduate Student Life, and the Center for Career and Professional Development.
- Fellows expand their toolkits for identifying and prioritizing research questions, pursuing scholarly agendas while navigating the university system, and articulating their work (and the value of their work) to diverse audiences.
- Fellows develop critical capacities--mindsets, skill sets, and vocabularies--needed to excel in diverse careers across industry, government, non-profits and more. Fellows engage in meaningful reflection about the place and value of their discipline in the world, how they fit in it, and how they might contribute to it.
- Fellows will convene for roundtable conversations and interactive workshops that promote their professional development, intellectual growth, and leadership skills. The objective is to help fellows develop a critical self-awareness of personal and intellectual strengths and learn how to build on those strengths to pursue lives of impact.
- Half-day externship with university leadership.
Program Schedule and Expectations
All Fellows are expected to:
1. Attend the one-week immersive institute.
--> The immersive institute will be held August 19-23, 2019. The week will cover topics including: Creativity and Innovation; Developing Projects and Proposals for Funding; Building a Professional Identity; Communicating Your Research; Learning the Institution; Understanding Self, Colleges, and Academic Culture; Authentic Leadership; Asking the Right Questions, and many more!
2. Participate in at least five of the six roundtables.
--> Roundtable topics will include: Inclusive Excellence; Academic Leadership; Ethics and Integrity; Career Pathways - Academe and Beyond; Negotiating and Resolving Conflicts; Workshop: Giving a TED-style talk
3. Participate in the closing symposium (to be held December 2019) and present a TED-style talk on their visions and aspirations.
--> Morning: Panels on academic success and excellence
--> Afternoon: Closing Presentations (TED talks) from all Fellows on how they are and will lead lives of impact.
--> Evening: Celebratory dinner